Saturday, June 16, 2007

Week one & counting


First week of work is OVER! I've officially accepted the commute, however I will try the Metra commuter train next week. I've worked it out with my manager that I should be able to take the train 2 days a week which will help out my mental state as well as my "pocketbook" (how vintage of me).

I will still get home at the same time but should be able to relax a little more.


I want to switch gears for a minute and mention my best friend Brian. His father Jerry passed away on Saturday, June 2nd after a battle with bladder cancer. He and his wife Nolie had been back & forth from Arlington, TX to Houston, TX undergoing treatment at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center for the past several months.

I was unable to attend the memorial service in Arlington yesterday which was one of the hardest things I've ever done. Brian and I have been friends since 1983...the first week of summer band camp where Brian thought that Barbie had a really nice butt :)

I sincerely feel as though I've failed both Brian & Nolie by not being there for them during this hard time. Brian is literally like my brother and Nolie has been like a mother to me. From driving me home after a few too many beers in the middle of the night YEARS ago, to sitting at the hospital with my family when I had my ovary removed last summer. They have both always been there for me.

Jerry & Nolie were married for 47 years and I have to say, they were definitely one of the happiest couples I've ever seen together that long! They spent their last several years post-retirement travelling around the world. They had developed a great love for the cruise ship! The Love Boat if you will...

Brian was documenting Jerry's cancer battle through a wonderfully written blog. His father was an aerospace engineer which is where Brian gets his technical, obsessive side...yet his mother Nolie was an elementary school teacher for 30+ years and has a vibrant, outgoing personality which gives Brian his sense of humor.

Please take a minute or two to check out the blog at


...even though you may not know Jerry, it's a really good read about a really great person.


I'm heading out for an art festival today, then having dinner with my Uncle Kurtie, Aunt Chris & cousin K.J. this evening. K.J. moved to Chicago several months ago and Kurt and Chris came to visit from Arizona.

I get to see family & people I know!!!! Yipeeeeee!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about Brian's daddy, my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family in this very difficult time.