Friday, August 10, 2007

get your fiber

If you had told me 10 years ago that i would be shopping for yarn and trying to be a part of Chicago's knitting community I might have accused you of smoking the ganga...
I went to 2 amazing yarn stores on Wednesday afternoon. This pic is from one of their web sites.
Let me just clarify that it is a myth that knitting your own garments is cheaper than buying them....at least that is unless you drown yourself in acrylic yarn (a.k.a plastic) which is pretty darn cheap. Even then, the first sweater I made with acrylic ran about $50.
I was so flipping excited about this particular store, Loopy Yarns. I'll spare all of the details but let me just say, I could have easily spent a small fortune there...so if you ever want to know what to get me for a gift....
I've now got new yarn for 2 new projects & I'm currently working on my first pair of socks. I am just getting to the hard part which is making the heel...I think that might be what caused today's ever-lovin' migraine.
Anyway...I think I AM becoming part of a knitting community... I am still going to stitch n' bitch twice a month, I'm going to a White Sox game tomorrow which is a city wide "stitch n' pitch" group outing...a bunch of people knitting at a Major League Baseball game, and I'm going to a seminar in September that my SNB group leader is giving about making crocheted coral reefs for a collective project that is a homage to the disappearing Great Barrier Reef. (check out the site AND check out the main IFF site as well while you're there....both weird and strangely interesting http://www.theiff.org/reef/index.html )
I am officially an old lady...all I need now is box of Correctol in my nightstand drawer...."for gentle relief"...

No comments: