Sunday, October 28, 2007

It's the cheesiest


In the midst of being in a funk today (Sunday seems to be funk day lately), I got in the car this afternoon & drove north (although the highway says west).

First off, let me say that while I love taking the train to work and such, I do miss driving my car on the open road...I like to drive.

Problem is, here there isn't really too much open road that isn't full of traffic or construction or both.

Anyway, I headed north on I-94. Once I got through the construction traffic (see, I told you so), I drove about another 30 minutes until I crossed the Wisconsin state line. Chicago is nicely nestled in between both Wisconsin and Indiana so you can hit either state pretty quickly. I guess this is a big deal coming from Texas where it can take 10 hours to leave the state.

I stopped at the typical first rest stop which is also the visitors station....complete with maps and LOTS of brochures. I picked up a state map and a handful of brochures that caught my eye and headed back out. You see I wasn't really searching for a particular destination, just a little driving and some scenery.

As I proceeded north a little further, I stopped at the Mars Cheese Castle. You know, Wisconsin....cheese....Wisconsin....cheese....

I didn't get any cheese believe it or not, but I did get some pumpkin bread mix and a 6 pack of Wisconsin brewed Spotted Cow beer.

That was it...my big day. I am now enjoying my Spotted Cow beer and looking forward to the day in the not so far future when I can stop at the exit that said, "Ski area"...signage complete with snowflake.