Sunday, October 7, 2007

Volunteering....


As I made this move in life, I had a few things in mind that I wanted to do but have put off....

Get my jewelry business back on track, start going to church, and begin doing volunteer/charity work.

You've gotta start somewhere...I volunteered yesterday at a children's home called Lydia Home. http://www.lydiahome.org/ I signed up for a program called "Read with me". Each week a different group of children is chosen to come down and read with a volunteer. They are not all eligible as it's based on behavior the week before.

You get paired up with one child and they pick a book to read to you. You simply help them along if they need it and have conversation with them. We did that for about an hour, then played outside for about 30 minutes, then we took them to McDonald's (each volunteer pays for one child's lunch). What a blast. For only 3 hours of my Saturday it was totally worth it. I have signed up for another event at the same place called "News Room". In that one a group comes down & we read a current article with them and have questions and discussions about it. I'm looking into one more as well called "Recreation" at Lydia Home where we actually go on a field trip...it could be a museum, park, zoo, ball game, etc...
If you want to get, you've got to give...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen: Your volunteering to help these youngsters is admirable, especially assisting them with reading. Each of you will get "rewards" in your own ways. We remember when you were in Kindergarten and read "Peter Rabbit" in the auditorium to the entire Vance School, not bad for someone who was reading at three.
We are very proud of you.
Lots of Love.
Mom,Dad & Champ

Rasquachi said...

Corrupting the youth. Mmm-hmm.

sarah b. said...

Girl, you ROCK this world!