Saturday, July 28, 2007

Big city nights....


So last night I went out with my friend Mike for dinner & drinks. As we were leaving the Belmont/Clark area, we got on the El (elevated transit system) & began chatting. The announcement "next stop, Paulina" came over the intercom...I said, "oh shit, we're on the wrong line"!
For those of you who are not familiar with the El...there are multiple train lines that run throuout the city...red line, brown line, green line, blue line, purple line, etc... The mass transit system in this city is amazing! We needed to be on the red line & accidentally got on a brown line train. Not usually a big deal...

SO! We got off at the next stop & figured we'd have to take the next train back in the direction we came from so we could get back on the red line. There are several stops along the way where the lines merge & you can transfer lines...

Anyway, so it's like 2:20 am & completely dead quiet, not a soul around but us, and no train. The trains don't run every 2 seconds except during rush hour, so I walked over to the posted schedule to see when the next train ran...

I said, "uh oh"...."Houston, we have a problem"....

The last train came at 2:14 am & the next train wasn't going to be running until 4:09 am. So as all of you reading this are intellegent individuals, I'm sure you can see the problem...

Here's the great thing...I am NOT the local one, yet I am the one who remained calm & said, "you know what????? We are in CHICAGO...I am willing to bet that if we go downstairs (we were on the platform at this point), it won't take us 2 seconds to find a cab".

We walked downstairs, turned to the left and at the red light ahead, there were at least 4 cabs within my 20/80 line of sight. Once we got in the cab, I saw at least 5 more cabs pass us within a one block radius...

THIS CITY ROCKS!!!!!

....oh yeah, and I beat Mike at Galaga like I said I would when we stumbled upon an arcade...
I LIVE IN A CITY WHERE YOU CAN STUMBLE UPON AN ARCADE!!!!!! How awesome is that???


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my my my. I do believe Dorthy you have found your home. Where oh where are your red ruby slippers???
LOL I am so thrilled at your adventure. Love the stiitch n bitch !!! How fitting is that...