Monday, March 16, 2009

The luck o' the Irish... and British





Saturday Julian & I went to the Chicago St. Patricks Day Parade. I was SO excited about it! I am Irish, (duh, booze!) and have wanted to attend this since I moved here. Chicago has the 2ND largest Irish population in the country so this has to be balls to the wall right?

Wrong... Before I criticize, let me say that about 1/3 into the parade I looked at Julian & said, "okay I guess considering that we are in a horrible, global recession, a parade is the last thing that anyone wants to put there money in". This I understand. So there were a handful of marching bands, and LOTS of random family's of politicians walking behind banners. Not my idea of a super exciting event. BUT whoever was supposed to be organizing the parade did a fairly crappy job. A great bagpipe band would march by & get everyone geared up, then POOF!... nothing... for, like, 3 minutes. There was no flow & huge gaps of space in between groups. There was little or no excitement from the crowd and overall everyone seemed bored.

Maybe I'm spoiled 'cause my idea of a PARADE is what cruises down Cedar Springs in Dallas every year for Gay Pride. I mean come on, even in the worst of times, you KNOW those G&L's can do some mean shit with some crepe paper and no recession is going to stop that!!!


...and what the HELL does Ronald McDonald in a humongous red shoe have to do with Ireland????






No comments: