Saturday, July 19, 2008

Can't beat the meat

I have this great little grocery store a few blocks from my house. With gas and groceries increasing in price by the minute, I find myself shopping there as much as I can for produce and meats. The produce is BEAUTIFUL and insanely cheap. Please tell me how I can pay such little money for the following at one store, when it would be at least triple at my big box store.

Head of Romaine lettuce .69
Pint of ORGANIC Driskell Strawberries .99 (and they are FRESH)
1/2 pint of Blackberries 2/1.00
1 Box of vanilla ice cream 2/3.00
Total w/tax $3.76

I went there on my way off of the train two days ago and spent .59 lb. on tomatoes on the vine, and $1.86 on a butterflied pork chop. Mind you the chop isn't 4 inches thick like a hungry man portion, it's about 1/2 inch thick like a portion size should be. I'm just amazed at the difference. Next thing you know I'll be carrying canvas grocery bags... oh wait, it's already started.

2 comments:

sharky gomez said...

soylent green...

sharky gomez said...

...at least you're recycling...

...the people...