Sunday, June 22, 2008

Booze, Art & Hoagies





Last night I went to the DVA Gallery for their 4th anniversary party. It was a Tiki Art Show and last night was the opening reception.


I didn't have anyone to go with but decided to go it alone. When I arrived the Cocktail Preachers were already playing in full swing (well, in full surf I should say) and the Voodoo Rum was flowing!


I took a look around at the fabulous art and enjoyed my first beverage. After two I got the courage to walk up to a couple who had commented on my vintage eye wear & said, "Hi, don't know anyone & you spoke to me first, so I'm coming to interrupt your conversation!". I'm becoming quite the ballsy girl. I ended up talking to a few very tiki couples for quite a while and then shifted to the girl with the pink hair (her name is Melly by the way). Pink haired Melly had the coolest cuffs on and it turns out she too is from Texas... San Antonio to be exact.


Okay so rums 3,4, & 5 went down nicely. Nice enough that it was obvious to the gallery owner and his staff that I kept eyeballing a specific piece of art.
There was one key element in the painting that kept catching my eye... and it doesn't included tiki's. He approached me & said, "I hear you keep looking this piece?". I said, "yup, I really like it". He says, "I can give you a deal if you're really interested", I said, "How much of a deal?".... enough that I now own art. I wasn't dumb enough to drag it out last night after booze, but I did walk a few doors down to the Hoagie Hut where I got a super kick-ass chicken hoagie which I ate after my cab ride home...


Thank the man above for the stimulus check....




See more of Mark "Atomos" Pilon's work here.

1 comment:

Robert said...

Love your new artwork! It's very you! I'm proud of you for working up the nerve to talk to strangers. (I need to work on that, too.)